Undeniable Talent!

The Women’s Varsity Basketball team dominates the court in season openers.

The Notre Dame Women’s Varsity Basketball team poses for a photo with their awards following a tournament win. Great job, Knights!

While all the talk seems to be about the men’s varsity basketball team, let’s not forget that the women, who also dominate the floor during the winter season. 

Currently ranked #18 in California, the team is 7-0 in non-league play as they make a run for another CIF championship.

The Knights began their season on November 16th at home against West Ranch High School, routing the Wildcats in a 52-29 win.

In the following four games, the Knights showed their strengths outscoring Arleta High School 57-26, Wilson High School 60-17, La Cañada High School 44-32, Eagle Rock High School 52-37.

Playing back to back games on December 6th and 7th, the beat Verdugo Hills High School 68-37 and St. Genevieve High School 54-11. 

The Women’s Varsity Basketball team is amazingly talented and have had an incredible start to the season. With this dominating start, the Knights are positive in their abilities to keep winning.

“I’m confident we will keep winning our games and make it to the playoffs this year because we are a very strong team and being almost all returners gives us strength and confidence to make it far,” said Peyton Chalmers ‘24.        

Coach Gross agreed, saying, “So far, the season is going great. We remain undefeated after 7 games, including a tournament win. We are improving daily and battling every time we take the court.” 

Their main goal (as it is for every Notre Dame team) is to make the playoffs and win CIF, as they did in their 2020 season.

“Our goals for this year’s season are just to get better each game and learn from any mistakes that we make, individually and as a group. We hope to make it to the playoffs and beat most of the teams in our league,” said Chalmers.

Of course, these goals don’t just achieve themselves. The team has to work hard during practice and execute during games. 

Since we have a team full of returning players, we get to work on the little things that will make a difference in games, rather than the big concepts.  The little things include passing angles, footwork, spacing, and, most of all, rebounding. To quote Pat Riley, ‘No Rebounds, No Rings’,” said Coach Gross. 

The team competes hard, raising their confidence, playing ability, and their team bond.

We are all super close and are practically family. We love bonding on and off the court. No matter what, we will always have each other’s back,” said Chalmers.               

As a team, the Knights are talented, but each player is spectacular in their own way. 

“We have several high level players that may continue their basketball career after Notre Dame. Specifically, senior Lisette Meza is our starting point guard. She leads our attack on the court and has for the last 4 years, including as a starter for our 2020 CIF Championship team. Junior Natalie Villamor returns this season after leading the team in scoring last year. She was named MVP of the Mark Keppel Tournament at the end of November,” said Coach Gross. 

As much as we all love the men’s basketball team and showing up for their games, I think it’s about time we do the same for the women’s team!

League play starts January 3, 2023 at Chaminade. The Knights first league home game is on January 5, 2023 against Marlborough. Check the ND sports app or the ND website for a complete schedule.

We hope to see you at a game!