The Student News Site of Notre Dame High School

The Knight Online

The Knight Online

The Knight Online

James Baldwin

James+Baldwin++was+an+American+civil+rights+activist+and+writer%2C+best+known+for+his+work+with+essays%2C+novels%2C+plays%2C+and+poems.+
Wikimedia Commons
James Baldwin was an American civil rights activist and writer, best known for his work with essays, novels, plays, and poems.

“Neither love nor terror makes one blind: indifference makes one blind.”

— James Baldwin, If Beale Street Could Talk

Known for being one of the greatest writers of the 20th century, James Baldwin explored racial and social issues as well as the experience of being Black in America in his works. He is also known as a novelist, essayist, poet, and playwright. Baldwin faced constant abuse and discrimination due to his race and sexual orientation, so much that he moved to France to escape the hate in America. This ended up being a great change for him, as he pursued his writing career there and became one of the most influential black writers of the 20th century. He was also included in the list of 100 Greatest African Americans by the scholar Molefi Kete Asante in 2002. Some of his greatest works include “Go Tell It on the Mountain, Just Above My Head” and “Sonny’s Blues”. Through his works, he displays how the power of art can bridge gaps in relationships and bring society closer to one another. He was a prominent figure in the Civil Rights era and is remembered for his works that focus on sexuality, politics, and race.