The Student News Site of Notre Dame High School

The Knight Online

The Knight Online

The Knight Online

Making History

The Women’s Basketball Team leaves their mark on the Notre Dame program.
This year’s team was led by nine seniors. Left to right: Amia Witt, Natalie Trujillo, Grace Muir, Miabella Spica, Alexandra Lodge, Peyton Chalmers, Natalie Villamor, Regan Davis. (Not pictured: Lucy Boyter)

Notre Dame Women’s Basketball has had a tremendous season both on and off the court. Beginning in mid-June, the Knights ended their 2024 season in March. With 10 months of hard work, drive, and perseverance, they made basketball history for Notre Dame.

After ending the regular season with a win against Alemany, the women’s team set off for the CIF season playoffs. 

The Knights started strong with three consecutive wins against Trinity Classical Academy, South High School, and Shadow Hills respectively. Unfortunately, their following game against Lousiville ended in a loss and they ended their season in the semifinal round of the CIF-SS. 

Still, Notre Dame persevered and landed another three wins against Poway, Cerritos, and Santa Margarita. The Knights’ hard-fought season came to a close on March 5 at an away game against Harvard Westlake. 

Despite the loss, this was a monumental season for the Women’s Basketball team. The 2023-24 team’s successes led to their second state appearance in program history. Previously, the Knights had never made it past the first round of CIF State Playoffs. 

The team made it to the Southern Section Semifinals and the Regional Championship contributing to large strides for the women’s basketball program. They ranked #4 in California Division 2 and #2 in Southern Section Division 2A. 

2024 was also the first year that Notre Dame had the privilege of hosting both Men’s and Women’s Basketball in the State Tournament on the same day. 

Led by Captains Natalie Villamor ‘24, Grace Muir ‘24, and Natalie Trujillo ‘24, the Knights have a total of nine graduating seniors this year. Villamor said, “Our season was memorable and we accomplished so much more than we thought we could. I’m so proud of this team and of how far we’ve come.”

Individual players have also made impressive achievements. Villamor reached 1000 career points and broke the 3-point record for Notre Dame. “I’m sad that it’s over, but I’m happy that I experienced it,” she said.

Trujillo was also grateful for her final year. “I am beyond thankful to have had the opportunity to share the court with all 15 girls and be coached by our new staff. I walk away from this team a better player, teammate, and person.”

The Knights adapted under great pressure and significant changes this season. They had to work with a new coaching staff, four transfers, and a team of fifteen players, nine of whom were seniors. “We struggled at first to create chemistry with one another but as time went on and with more and more practice we learned to play with and play off of each other. We became a team,” said Trujillo. 

While the team won’t be the same next year, the legacy they have left behind will inspire future players for the Knights.