What’s Happening To Kairos?

Kairos is a special retreat for the seniors of Notre Dame. However, COVID-19 has changed some plans!

Ani Zakaryan, Contributor

The last year of high school for our Notre Dame seniors has definitely begun with an unusual semester. Despite the circumstances we are facing, Notre Dame’s faculty and staff are doing everything they can to make this year unique in its own way. With that being said, Kairos will be taking place under different conditions.

Kairos is a special trip planned solely for the seniors of Notre Dame. It is a retreat prepared through our community’s Campus Ministry branch and directed by Ms. Morley. Although the purpose of Kairos is to be kept a secret and surprise for students, we expect a time of self reflection and deeper bonding between our classmates.

Kairos director, Ms. Morley, has meticulously planned an unparalleled Kairos experience for the class of 2021! Kairos will be taking place on Friday, March 26 to Monday, March 29. It will occur at Pali Retreat Center near Big Bear with the entire senior class. Ms. Morley came to this conclusion with the suggestions from previous classes of attending Kairos as a whole. 

In order to be a part of the special experience, Ms. Morley has created a Household Program. The Household Program is made up of many small groups of seniors that are led by Christian leaders. Household meetings will be taking place before class from 7:30 a.m. to 8:15 a.m. on various dates leading up to Kairos. Students must be present to 5 of the 7 household meetings in order to attend Kairos! Ms. Morley says , “One thing we hear back from students after retreat is that they wish they could’ve gotten to know their groups sooner during their time at ND.” The essence of this program is to do just that; it will allow students to form deeper bonds with others in their groups! 

Many students are optimistic of the way Kairos will play out. Christian leader Zoe Busenberg ‘21 says, “The new Kairos, while distinctly different from years past, is bound to be a unique and positive experience for the class of 2021. The new format allows Kairos attendees to cultivate deep, interpersonal relationships with their group prior to the retreat, ultimately providing them with a family where they will feel safe in sharing, safe in being vulnerable once on the retreat.” 

In the event that the pandemic will still be in full force during March 2021, all necessary precautions will be taken, from social distancing to wearing masks. Ms. Morley ensures the seniors that although “Kairos may look a little different this year due to the restrictions that are put in place to protect our safety, we are doing everything in our power to still give you the best Notre Dame Kairos experience!” 

The senior class is looking forward to this unique opportunity to enjoy and remember for a lifetime!

Christian leader’s enjoyed their retreat with a similar focus as Kairos during late August!
(Ms. Morley )

This is a one of the household meetings hosted on zoom by Christian Leader, Ani Zakaryan ’21 (top row middle).