The Student News Site of Notre Dame High School

The Knight Online

The Knight Online

The Knight Online

Following a Legacy:

A Run Through of the 2023-2024 Men’s Basketball Season
Dylan Stewart
Mercy Miller ‘24 dunks on Windward’s defense to propel the Knights to victory in the CIF – SS D1 championship.

The highly anticipated basketball playoff season has come and gone for the Notre Dame Varsity Basketball team. Ranked as the #5 team in California, it goes without saying that the basketball program has strong talent.

Following last year’s state title and stacked starting lineup, Notre Dame Men’s Basketball had a lot to live up to. But the Knights aren’t ones to shy away from a challenge, and the boys took their legacy in stride. 

They played phenomenally throughout the regular season, with a record of 6-1 in league games, placing them second in the Mission League. A highlight was the sold out game against Crespi, which featured a roaring student section and a hard fought victory over the Celts, with a final score of 64-61.

After three consecutive losses at the end of the regular season, partly because of team injuries, the Knights faced a huge shock. They had been omitted from the Open Division, and moved to the #1 seed in the Division 1 bracket. 

Both Harvard Westlake and Sierra Canyon made Open, even though HW placed third in the Mission League. Despite this upset, the boys were ready to make the most of their situation.

Starting a new hot streak, the boys battled their way through CIF Southern Section. They first beat Crean Lutheran in overtime by a score of 74-64.

Riverside Polytechnic High was next to take us on — and ultimately lose — with a final score of 65-53.

Then came Santa Margarita, who also fell to our Knights after an intense game with a final score of 63-50.

Next was Redondo Union, who made ND men’s basketball fight for their win of 67-60.

And finally, the Notre Dame Knights took on Windward in Ontario, winning 69-65, to earn the title of CIF Southern Section Division 1 Champions. 

Coming off their win, the Knights still had a long road ahead to reach their goal of state. They started the journey with a blowout against Torrey Pines, beating the Falcons 89-47. 

Advancing to the second round of state playoffs, the Knights took on Rolling Hills Prep, who quickly realized their fate, as our boys won 58-49.

Unfortunately, their winning streak would come to an end at the regional finals, as the Knights lost to the Mater Dei Monarchs in a close game of 79-71. 

The moment was bittersweet for the seniors on the team, as it was the last time they would play in a Notre Dame jersey. But Men’s Basketball fought hard this season and defended their legacy well, despite the loss.